Monday, April 14, 2008

Brittany makes Pesto Shrimp and Vegetable Pouches.



The rundown:

Difficulty Easy, so long as you can chop and stir.
Health-wise Can't get much healthier than seafood and veggies.
Time-wise 45 minutes

I'm not so sure about that picture. Truth is, I was so hungry, I just snapped a few shots and dug in. I realize it sort of looks like shrimp rolled in dirt. Or Thai food. Anyway, none of that matters because this stuff tastes good. I have a soft spot for shrimp and pesto so my goal was to fuse the two in some sort of way that did not involve heavy cream and butter. Success? Yes sir.

18 shrimp (only because that's all I had left...but I think it's a pretty good number, still)
1 medium size yellow squash
1 medium size zucchini
2 cloves garlic
a few slices of onion
2-3 tbsp. olive oil (I used 1/4 cup...it was a little too much)
1 package pesto mix

oven: 350 degrees

(PS - This is for two servings. Leftovers for lunch!)

1. Chop squash and zucchini into bite-size quartered pieces. Combine in a medium-size bowl.
2. Dice garlic cloves; add to vegetables.
3. Chop onion; add to vegetables.
4. Add shrimp, olive oil, and pesto mix. Stir until it's all covered in olive oil and pesto.
5. Using two large pieces of foil, divide mixture into two. Roll each piece of foil to create two pouches.
6. Bake on a cookie sheet (in case you don't know how to make a foil pouch and they leak) for 30 minutes.

I served it with brown rice. I imagine you could add other vegetables like carrots and bell peppers, but the only carrots in our refrigerator are scary looking and I don't like bell peppers...but you might. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this or dinner tonight. I doubled it, put thinly sliced carrots in it and only used 2 T. oil on the whole thing. We loved it and have enough left over for dinner tomorrow night. Thank you! So that gives you one day to put up something for me to cook on Friday!
Mom

Alison said...

YUM! Thanks for including difficulty level so people like me know where to begin. :)