Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Brittany makes Chicken Chili.


The rundown:

Difficulty easy beesy
Health-wise loads of fiber and whole grains
Time-wise dinner in 30 minutes or less

I love chili. Used to be something that I ate with Fritos, cheddar cheese, and/or hot dogs. Then I discovered that it can be healthy and still totally awesome. It's definitely a good winter food and although it's lingering 50's here, I think I made up the perfect year-round chili recipe. Check check check it out:

1 lb ground lean meat (I opted for chicken instead of turkey this time and...I think it's better)
1 24 oz. can crushed tomatoes with basil
1 16 oz. can black beans
1 16 oz. can red kidney beans
1 package medium chili seasoning
1 tsp. garlic salt
2 cups instant brown rice

1. In a large pot, warm crushed tomatoes, black beans, and kidney beans over medium-low heat.
2. Brown meat.
3. Add meat, seasoning, and garlic salt (I also added a little chili powder, just 'cause) to the tomatoes/beans. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
4. Boil brown rice.
5. Add rice to chili.
6. And of course, I normally top with a little cheese for my own culinary aesthetic...and because I love cheese.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Shut up! A cooking blog in the family!! I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

This is a really good idea Brit! I wish I had a kitchen..